Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Beauty of a Rose

Nick Jonas recently made a solo album aside from his band, the Jonas Brothers. He made it clear that he was not splitting from them, but he just made a side project with a group of big musicians.  The first single just came out, and it's called 'Who I Am.' I won't go into the music and how much I really like the single, but I want to talk about the second single that has not actually released, but was performed last week on a show.  It's called 'Rose Garden.'  Just a little while ago, Nick posted on his twitter that he realized in his [short] life- "Roses last a long time if you hang them upside down."  Later, someone wrote back saying it was like relationships- "They are going to remain strong and beautiful for a long time,  even when things are upside down."

I thought about this for a long time, especially after hearing the song because it's a beautiful song.  It really is.
As if you haven't already figured out, I compare almost everything to people or life.  Well, once again, I will keep it predictable.  I kind of took the rose example in a different direction than relationships.  I kind of saw it as a new picture.

Roses are beautiful, we can all say that.  No matter what color they are, they're just beautiful.  But what about the thorns?  Those beautiful roses have thorns that can really hurt.  It's almost like a "flaw" in the design of the rose.  But even though roses have those thorns, those "flaws," it doesn't take away from their beauty.  Which is pretty incredible. (To me anyways)

We are also like that.  We have all those little flaws and we get so mad about them. Sometimes they may cause pain to other people, and sometimes we just want them to disappear.  But, even though we have those "thorns" in our lives, they don't take away from our beauty.  They don't take away from the person God created us to be, the beautiful person.

I know that this sounds a lot like my last post, but it's just a message that I think we can't hear enough.  I, myself, strive so hard to be perfect. I try so hard to please everyone around me, because I don't like my flaws and I don't like those imperfections that [unfortunately] I have.  But, the more I try to be different, and the more I try to be perfect, the more I lose myself.  Of course, it's important to change and try to be better, but through that, we have to remember to be ourselves, and God will do the rest.

It also goes back to what Nick said about roses.  When they're upside down, they last longer, and they are stronger and still beautiful.  Even though sometimes we may think our lives are upside down and just messed up, we're still beautiful. And it may just be in those "upside down" times, that our beauty shines through the brightest.  I think that sometimes, finding the imperfections that we have, makes us find ourselves, and who we really are.  We all have those flaws and "thorns," and at some point, all of our lives have been or will feel like they are just completely "upside down."  But it's in those crazy times, that we find who we are and we find that overall beauty that we have, just like the rose.  One pointy thorn will not take away from the beauty that we (and the rose) will always have.

*Amy :)

P.S. In writing this, I totally forgot about Christmas! Sorry, this has nothing to do with December or Christmas :) Hopefully, the next post will!

1 comment:

  1. you're super good at writing i hope you know!
    i loved this post. it's really good, and encouraging.
    and i like nicks new stuff too! haha

    ReplyDelete