Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Who Owns You?

Neal Boortz asked the question on his June8 radio show: “Who owns you?” He was, of course, approaching the question from the present political situation in the US. His point was that if the government continues to grow in power and influence, the government will ‘own’ us. In other words, they will ‘control’ our lives, by controlling our healthcare, our industry, our spending power etc. etc. His conclusion was his Libertarian gospel of self-determination and personal responsibility. The last thing he said on this subject was: “I am my own.”

I certainly agree with many of Neal’s talking points on limited government, personal responsibility and fiscal discipline, but the 2 quotes listed above triggered other thoughts in my heart.

He asked: “Who owns you?” Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (New International Version)

He concluded: “I am my own,” yet the verse above says the opposite. This thought process is like many others of faith – it is multi-faceted. We were purchased with the sacrifice of Christ, but it doesn’t seem like the emphasis was on ownership in the possessive sense like a master to a slave. We see the facet of adoption in the redemption. We see the facet of marriage in the redemption. The redemptive, purchasing, sacrificial love of God produces in us the response of voluntary surrender to Him. When he said: “I am my own,” I immediately thought of this verse: My lover is mine and I am his; Song of Solomon 2:16 (New International Version).

Why must I control? Why must I self-determine? Why must I be the Pilot-In-Command and relegate Father to the right seat? Can I respond to what He has done with surrender? Can I rest in his easy yoke and his light burden?
I am not my own. I am loved by Father.

Galatians 2:20I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
****Post written by Mark Yarick (my dad)****

No comments:

Post a Comment