Thursday, June 11, 2009

Who I am Hates Who I've Been- Week #8

OK, so I know that I need to do another song. I was going to do a Sanctus Real song, but changed my mind. Then, I was going to do a FireFlight song... changed my mind again! :)
I think I'll settle on one of my all time favorite songs (by all time favorite songs, of course I mean in my list of top 200!) called 'Who I Am Hates Who I've Been' by Relient K.
Check out the music video *HERE*.

OK, so... I asked my brother if he had anything to say about this song so I could add in one of his (not so famous) quotes... all he could say was, "It rocks."
So, I could leave it at that... or like usual, I could share the lyrics and give my personal view on this song........
We'll go with the second one.

Since my blog is getting longer and longer, I think I will post the link for the lyrics instead because then my blog won't make you scroll down for hours :) So, click *HERE* for the lyrics to Relient K, 'Who I am Hates Who I've Been.'

Now, on with my personal view....
The first line of this song says, "I watched the proverbial sunrise, coming out over the Pacific ..."
My dad always says he just absolutely loves this line because supposedly seeing the sunrise coming out over the Pacific is almost impossible. This verse goes on to say, "You might think I'm losing my mind, but I will shy away from the specifics." and more...
But anyways, here is just the chorus...

I'm sorry for the person I became.
I'm sorry that it took so long for me to change.
I'm ready to be sure I never become that way again
'cause who I am hates who I've been.

I really love this song because it's so true. The person that we have been either years ago, or even months ago is a different person, (most likely) than the person we are today. My dad always says, "I hate that guy I was back then."
and its true. Even with myself, I am so upset with the person that I was months ago. The things that I did, said, and the way I lived was different than the way it is now (not that I'm fully satisfied with who I am now, but it's different).
For me, the beauty of this song is that we can take the person we are now and the person we were back then and look at the two, and see how God has changed us.

You can look at it like a movie, where the main character starts out living wrong and doing wrong things, but by the end of the movie, he has changed into a new person.
Just think how amazing it is that God can change us all. God can take what we were and change it into what we are now. We all may hate who we used to be, but what we became as a result of that is always better. We all learn, we all grow, and we all change through Christ and I just love that!

Later in the song the lyrics say, 'And who I am will take the second chance you gave me.'
We are so lucky that we have a God of second chances, a God who forgives and then changes us. I think that we all have things in our past that we are not proud of, but the fact that God gives us a second chance, a second try, and changes us through that is just amazing!

By the way, I encourage you to watch the music video! It's great!!! Click *HERE* for the link again.

No comments:

Post a Comment