Thursday, December 8, 2011

I'll Be Unemployed in 5 Years.

After years of being confused, lost and indecisive, I made the decision this year that I am going to transfer to a university as a Psychology major. I based this decision on my passion for helping other people. I also based it on the love and empathy that I feel for others. Not only do I want to be able to spend the rest of my life helping people, but I also want to have the education to understand humanity and why we are the way we are. I think it will help me to better understand everyone around me, as well as better understand myself and who I am.

Every time I tell someone my future goals and decision to study this subject, people shake their heads and tell me I’m making a mistake. Over and over, adults tell me I’ll “end up unemployed” and “There’s no money in psychology” and give me a thumbs down the second “psy-“ leaves my mouth.

I feel like I’ve spent way too much of my life trying to figure out exactly what it is that my heart is in. I tried being an English major because I love to write. At that time, people also told me how big of a mistake it was and that I would never find a job. So, I took their advice and changed my mind. I, then, considered being a math major because I love math. But, the thought of sitting in an office all day, every day, punching in numbers made me re-think that option.

After all this time spent thinking, [not to mention all the extra classes I’ve taken in college], I feel like I have finally decided that this is what I want to do. I want to study people. I want to study our thoughts and behaviors. And eventually, I would love to work in a treatment center that helps girl with eating disorders, mood disorders, depression, addictions, etc. There is a passion deep in my heart to help people, to show people their worth and their value in life.

Yet, when I tell people this, they don’t understand. I feel like we have a misconception of reality. We think we have to go to college and get a degree in order to ensure that we get a well paying job when we’re finished. Although this is true to an extent, I think we’re missing so much. I’m not in college right now because I want to make tons of money when I graduate. I’m not pursuing a higher education in order to make sure I get a good job. I’m in school and I’m choosing to study for the highest degree that I can because I love learning. I love figuring out new things and absorbing more information into my brain.

Not once when I am sitting in a classroom do I tell myself that it’ll pay off when I have a good job, because I don’t see school as a chore. I honestly enjoy school and learning more than anything. Sometime it gets hard and when finals were over this semester, I was more relieved than ever before… but I still love it.

It’s really discouraging for me when people tell me I’m making a mistake in majoring in Psychology. I don’t see money or salary as a basis to go to school and get an education. I don’t think that finding a good job is as much about money as it is about what you enjoy doing. I do understand circumstances where money is the only reason to get a job… BUT when you’re in school studying for your future, I don’t think the amount of zeroes in your “expected” salary is what should be on your mind. I could make 20 dollars an hour at McDonalds, but I can guarantee you that I will hate getting up and going to work each day. The amount of money I’m getting paid might allow me to buy everything I want. It might give me the ability to live in a big house, drive a sweet car and have the best clothes… but if I hate going to work and I hate the work that I’m doing, then all of those material things aren’t going to make me happy.

I would much rather learn to live with less and sincerely enjoy what I am doing every day, then make millions and absolutely hate how I’m making it.

I feel like life and happiness are so much more than the amount of money we make. Musicians don’t always make a huge amount of money, but when they’re on stage every night doing what they’ve always loved to do, with a smile on their faces, then who cares?

Sure, they could have gone to school and become doctors… but that’s not where their hearts are. That isn’t what they love to do.

Majoring in psychology is a way for me to learn about myself. It’s a way for me to understand my brother and my parents. It provides me with an opportunity to [hopefully] gain more knowledge about the world I live in and the people I live in it with. I hope to discover new ways to help people in need.

I’m not trying to sit in class for four years and earn a piece of paper that says I can “get a good job” and “make lots of money.” I’m trying to learn. And that’s it. Short and simple- I want to learn as much as I possibly can.

The definition of success according to the New Oxford American Dictionary is this:

The accomplishment of an aim or purpose.

I have a purpose in life and one day I hope to figure out what that is. I don’t think anyone’s purpose is to make lots of money. My view of success is not defined by the amount of money or fame I get. My view of success is based purely on my happiness and how I use what I’ve learned throughout my life to help benefit other people.

I can have a PhD in Psychology, make minimum wage, and still be happy. If I’m showing and giving love to others and if I can help make other people realize their potential and worth in life beyond numbers, then I’ll be happy. I’ll find in joy in the fact that I can help the people around me.

You can tell me every day that studying psychology is a mistake. You can tell me every day that there’s no money in the “psychology business.” You can shake your head at me every day. But I’m going to strive to do what I think is best for me. I’m going to focus my life on happiness and love, and not on the numbers in my paycheck.

I’m going to find success in my ability to love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment