Friday, July 24, 2009

Week #13- Lose My Soul by Tobymac

Am I waaaaay to late for another song or what?
I knew when I started, that my song of the week would turn into 'song of the week and 3 days' or 'song of whenever Amy has time and feels like writing about another song'
Ok, maybe that last one was a little too long :) haha.
Well, I'll go ahead and do one now. I think it's about time I do a song by my brother's favorite artist, TobyMac, who much like many artists this year is working on a new album.

Tobymac used to be a member of D.C. Talk until he started his solo career and created a band called 'Diverse City' made up of a very diverse group of people. Toby lives his life speaking out against prejudice and racism. He full knows that God loves everyone just the same, whether we're black, white, yellow, or grey. (That was a line from Toby's song 'Diverse City')

Tobymac not just lives this truth out through his music, but also in his family and his life. Toby and his wife, Amanda had 3 children of their own, and adopted 2. Tobymac is not only an extremely successful, grammy award winning, gold album artist, but a loving, devoting father and family man.

Choosing just one of Tobymac's many great songs is hard, but I think I'll talk about 'Lose My Soul' which also features two other artists, Mandisa, and Kirk Franklin.
Watch the official music video for this song *HERE*
To read the full lyrics to 'Lose My Soul' click *HERE*
I'm also, actually going to post the first verse and the chorus right here, because the lyrics are just so good.

Father God, I am clay in your hands,
Help me to stay that way through all life's demands,
'Cause they chip and they nag and they pull at me,
And every little thing I make up my mind to be,
Like I'm gonna be a daddy whose in the mix,
And I'm gonna be a husband who stays legit,
And I pray that I'm an artist who rises above,
The road that is wide and filled with self love,
Everything that I see draws me,
Though it's only in You that I can truly see that its a feast for the eyes- a low blow to purpose. And I'm a little kid at a three ring circus.

I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul,
Don't wanna walk away, let me hear the people say.
I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul,
Don't wanna walk away, let me hear the people say.

Wow, I for one, love these lyrics! Just to hear an artist sing that or write that, shows their heart. You can feel Toby's feelings as you read or listen to this song.
The world of fame out there, even the Christian music one is filled with... well... self-love.
I truly believe that when Christian artists start out, they go into the industry thinking, "This is for God" I am not doubting that at all, but I also believe that once they get pulled into the business of the whole thing, they might lose sight of God because the new thing in their view is themselves and money. (I'm not saying this is true for all the artists. Most Christian artists have a true passion for God and music... but maybe for some it is.)
Fame is all about your image, not really who YOU are, but who the world wants you to be.
I love the lyric in this song that says, "and I pray that I'm an artist who rises above, a road that is wide and filled with self-love."
Tobymac understands that God is most important. Not his image, not himself, but God. Everything He does is for God. God really is the most important thing in this world. Not just knowing who He is, but our relationship with Him.
We could have every single thing in this world, every electronic, every fan, every CD, DVD, and all the money in this world, but if we don't have God, then we're still left at nothing.

"I don't want to gain the whole world and lose my soul"
If we gain the whole world, but lose God, lose our soul, then what did we really gain?

No comments:

Post a Comment