Thursday, March 4, 2010

Music :)

Almost one month.... that's how long it's been since my last blog post.... well, my Dad seems to think I've quit... which I don't do... so partial reason for this post may be to prove him wrong...

I have been very fortunate lately to stumble upon some itunes gift cards :) I've read so many messages and heard so many people say that when they go on itunes to buy one song, they end up spending hundreds of dollars. I've always laughed at that... like "Yeah, suurrreee..."

But now.. I understand. I got some itunes money for Christmas and only spend a few dollars on an update for my ipod. I didn't intend to buy songs because I usually buy or receive real CDs... but then I spent a lot of my day with my usual dose of youtube and started to listen to some songs.... kept listening to this song... over and over. Eventually I decided that I could spare 99 cents and buy this song, especially because I was loving it. So, that's how this started.

A few weeks later, and I now own many songs I never intended to buy. So, for those of you spending all of your money on itunes... I understand how you feel. I'm just lucky because once that gift card money is up... I will have to be done :) It's a good thing I don't own a credit card.

So... my other reason for this post was to share some of my latest song obsessions with you.

First of all, Tobymac's new album 'Tonight' came out last month... and my brother and I bought it the day of the release.  (Yes, I bought the actual copy not from itunes.) This CD is pretty much the biggest mix of songs on one album I've ever heard.  Tobymac's usual rock and rap are of course included on the CD, but there's also a Jamaican style track on here that's really interesting. The songs are incredible, like usual, Toby continues his lyrics in the direction of love and that sense of 'togetherness' that we know him for. The theme of Diverse City continues to run throughout this album and so do others.... My current favorites are 'Tonight' (Featuring John Cooper of Skillet) and 'Hey Devil.'  I think 'Hey Devil' attracted me the second I read the track list because 'Devil' is almost a curse word among Christians.... "Christian artists" don't normally put that word in their songs... nevertheless the titles. Well, of course, you can't judge by that. The song is definitely one of my all time favorites and it has a great message as well, as does the whole album.

Now, some single songs I have been addicted to lately:

'Don't You Know You're Beautiful' by Seabird was the song that dragged me into the world of itunes spending. I was in the car with my mom and this song came on. 'Beautiful' is one of my favorite words, so I really liked the song. I wrote down some lyrics and immediately looked it up when I got home. This is definitely one of my favorite songs now and I bought it after listening to it about 50 times on youtube. I had never heard of the band, but I really like the sound of the song, and the lyrics too. It talks a lot about blaming yourself for all of these problems and just completely putting yourself down and making yourself feel worthless. Then the chorus says "Don't you know you're beautiful." And it just captures the way that God sees us compared to the way we sometimes view ourselves.
The next song I downloaded and again became addicted to is 'On and On' by Chasen. I also found this song through the radio. To me, these lyrics are just very powerful...

"Some say we need a miracle. Some say there's no hope at all, but I know that Your love is strong, it goes on and on and on and on. Rise up when it gets us down. We'll be a voice in the blaring crowd, cause we know that Your love will lead us home. It goes on and on and on and on."

I think this song means so much to me because it is really just a good reminder, for me personally.  I always write about how much God loves me and how big His love is... but even with that, I'll still forget it a lot of times. I find myself doubting it all the time. I love this song because of the reassurance and truth that it says "Your love is strong, it goes on and on and on..." Just knowing that God's love is so much stronger than anything we could imagine is amazing to me.... and it's really encouraging to hear "on and on and on" over and over :) We can't do anything to lose God's love... it's good to be reminded of that.

Just yesterday, I heard and bought the song 'Safe' by Phil Wickham.  I feel like I could have written this song... the lyrics are just basically what I am constantly saying in my mind.

"You will be safe in His arms. You will be safe in His arms. 
The hands that hold the world are holding Your heart. 
This is the promise He made. He will be with you always.
When everything is falling apart. You will be safe in His arms."


I think that knowing and hearing that I am in God's arms... I can't put into words how good that feels.  I love the lyrics "When everything is falling apart"  because we always think that. Everything that happens is "the end of the world" and with so much going on in the world, we always feel like everything is crashing down around us... but through the midst of all that, we are still safe in God's arms where He is holding us.


So, there's a few songs....
I will definitely continue to write... I'm not quitting... I'm just lazy :)
I would say I'm busy... but I'm not completely busy, I'm just distracted. :)

Spring Break starts today!
I hope everyone's weeks/days/2010s are going greeeeat!
*Amy :)

2 comments:

  1. awesome!! i love tobymac's new cd also! its so great!!! and dont you know your beautiful caused me to go to itunes once too haha. if you ever want musical suggestions... Caleb EP on itunes = fantastic haha. just saying.
    i've been meaning to buy some chasen stuff though, thanks for reminding me with this blog!
    anyways, haha yeah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these songs. I went and listened to Phil Wickham for 45 minutes! I love TobyMac too. My brothers and sisters and I all love the song "City on Our Knees".

    ReplyDelete